Thursday, December 6, 2007

Critical Thinking

The decision making process recommended by my friend is the rational choice paradigm. The approach seems quite wise. If it works out, it is definitely the best solution. However, it is hard to achieve in real life.

Just like all approaches, there are advantages and disadvantages to this approach. With this approach, personal beliefs and preferences are being put aside. Thus the amount of biasness is greatly minimised. As all factors are being weighed carefully, the decision is more likely to be the most compatible with the company needs.

However, as you see, it is too idealistic. The approach seems to be suitable for robots or people whose work is their life. I doubt that I have the capability, in real life, to actually carry out all these tasks. The entire process seems very tedious and time consuming. There are tons of travel agencies to choose from. It is not practical to assess each and every agency in detail. I would probably suffer from work overload. In addition, I would find it difficult to totally put aside my emotions while making decisions. My decisions might be influenced by past experiences. I would rather choose an agency which I am familiar with rather than one that I am not. How would I know that the information given by the agency is not just an empty promise? Another con is the success of the process, ultimately depends on me. More than one person should be recommending the agency. I could narrow down the choices and then have a team to choose the final agency. Perhaps my company would want to receive employees’ inputs. While it is impossible to make everyone happy, it will be good to listen to what the employees prefer. After all, it is their trip.

The rational choice paradigm decision making process is an ideal process. If I am confident that I have the time and energy to channel into the project, I would use this method, considering it is a great solution. However, I doubt I do.

Fas
“Even during the darkest, deepest nights, I know without a doubt, tomorrow will come.”

No comments: